THE CAT CLUB
Classic Album Thursdays
The CAT Club Story
On a dark Tuesday night in January 2011, eight souls gathered together in a converted garage (affectionately as ‘The Shed’) in Pontefract to listen to a long playing vinyl record album by The Beatles. The record was ‘Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ and we played the original mono version on a 1960s Hacker Gondolier GP42 record player. We sat in silence to listen to it in full, sipped on our beer, and then had a bit of a row about it afterwards. Some would argue that ‘Sgt Pepper’ is the best record ever made – many would argue that it’s not even the best record The Beatles made – but few would dispute that it is possibly the most influential album ever made. It’s the record that elevated 12 inches of plastic stuffed in a cardboard sleeve into an art form. It was a fitting choice to begin our trip.
A trip that has featured some of the leading names in popular music coming along to present and talk about an album of their choice.
A few of our past events
CLASSIC ALBUM THURSDAYS AT THE TAP & BARREL, THE QUEEN’S MILL & THE BLIND PIG (2016-present). Guest presenters in brackets
- ABBEY ROAD – THE BEATLES (Tony Barrell)
- ALL MOD CONS – THE JAM (Heath Common) Photo with Gary Guestlist.
- ARE YOU EXPERIENCED – THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE (Graham Oliver)
- BACK TO BLACK – AMY WINEHOUSE (Dom Morley) Photo with Rev Reynolds and Ash Duncan.
- BLOOD ON THE TRACKS (New York version) – Clinton Heylin (book launch)
- BLUE LINES – MASSIVE ATTACK (Melissa Chemam) Photo with Rev Reynolds and interviewer Chris Madden.
- BLUE TRAIN – JOHN COLTRANE
- BLUES AFTER HOURS – ELMORE JAMES
- BREAKFAST IN AMERICA – SUPERTRAMP (John Helliwell)
- BRINGING IT ALL BACK HOME – BOB DYLAN
- BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB (Nick Gold)
- CLASH – THE CLASH (Dave Beer)
- THE COMPLETE PEEL SESSIONS – THE FALL (Steve Hanley & Olivia Piekarski)
- DARK SIDE OF THE MOON – PINK FLOYD
- DEFININTELY MAYBE – OASIS (Owen Morris) Photo with interviewer Baz Bradley, CAT Club’s Rev Reynolds and producer Owen Morris